In our previous blog post, we highlighted the BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program. Applications for the BC-TRS is now open! The program gives $300 per month for eligible households with no dependents, and $500 per month for eligible households with dependents. This program will give tenants and landlords temporary support towards rent payments for renters impacted by COVID-19. The BC-TRS will provide a temporary rental supplement to renters for April, May and June 2020.
Please have a look at the eligibility criteria before applying.
Households need to meet each of the following criteria to qualify for the BC Temporary Rental Supplement:
- Have a 2019 household income of less than:
- $74,150 for singles and couples without dependents
- $113,040 for households with dependents
- As a result of COVID-19:
- Be receiving or eligible for Employment Insurance; or
- Be receiving or eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit offered by the federal government; or
- Have experienced, and be able to provide evidence of, a drop of 25% or more in monthly household employment income
- Be paying more than 30% of current household income towards rent
What information do I need to provide to apply for this program?
Tenants will be asked to provide the following information:
- Proof of address, such as a driver’s license or utility bill
- Proof of monthly rent amount, such as a signed tenancy agreement, rent receipt, or notice of rent increase
- Their landlord’s details and contact information, including email address
- For every household member who is over the age of 19:
- Identification, such as a driver’s license or BC identification card
- Proof of 2019 income (2019 Notice of Assessment or T-Slips)
- Proof of 2020 income loss related to COVID 19, and current income (Employment Insurance, Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Record of Employment, letter from employer, etc.)
The BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program online application portal can be found here: bchousing.org/BCTRS