The B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers will provide a tax-free, one time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19. Applications will open on May 1st 2020.
Who is eligible for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers (BCEBW)?
To be eligible for the BCEBW, you must:
- be a resident of British Columbia;
- meet the eligibility requirements for the CERB;
- have been approved for the CERB, even if they have not received a benefit yet;
- be at least 15 years old on the date of application;
- have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return; and
- not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance.
What documents do I need to provide when applying for the BCEBW?
You will need to provide:
- Social Insurance Number
- Direct deposit information
- An approved Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
How do I apply online?
Online applications will open on May 1st. The application portal will be available at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/covid-19-financial-supports/emergency-benefit-workers
Can I apply over the phone?
Yes, you can apply by telephone starting May 4, 2020. This option is for people who don’t have internet access.
High call volumes are anticipated and applying online is highly recommended.
Phone lines are available Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm:
When is the deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply is December 2, 2020.
Is there a number I call if I have more questions about the BCEBW?
Starting on May 1st, you can call 778 309-4630 or toll-free within B.C. at 1 855 955-3545, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Pacific time) for general support or questions.