Columbia College Wireless Internet Access Instructions
- Following are the minimum requirements to access the wireless network:
- Device that supports WIFI connection. (Laptops, Netbooks, Smartphones, etc.)
- Columbia College student/user account
- Connect to "columbiacollege" wireless network with your device.
- Launch your internet browser (Internet explorer, Chrome, Fire Fox, Safari, Opera, etc.) and the Columbia College login screen should load up. Enter your user name and password. Upon successful login, you will be able to access the internet.
Columbia College Computer Usage Guidelines
You must abide with the computer usage guidelines to use the college internet access.
- Use only your designated account when logging in.
- Log out after each use. This prevents other students from accessing your account.
- As a common courtesy to fellow students, log out if the previous user has forgotten. You would appreciate this if you had forgotten.
- Drop-in use is available when there are no classes in session. Hours are posted on the door of the Computer Centre.
- Keep the work station clean by removing scrap papers and personal items.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Computer Centre.
- Respect the rights of other users – no computer/online games or speak loudly in the Computer Centre. Internet use including E-mail is limited to 15 minutes when there are other students waiting for their turn to use the computer.
- Respect the integrity of the Computing System – do not delete/modify files and software components.
- Respect the legal protection provided by copyright and license.
- Report any problems immediately to the Computer Support technicians or instructor.
- Students may use their College Account for College related activities only. The account must NOT be used for music or video files.
- Abuse of the computing system will result in suspension of your account. In addition, the College may also deny you registration in any future courses.
About Your Account
- You are solely responsible for your own account. If you forget to log out, someone else will be able to access your account. You will be held accountable for any infractions that may occur if you allow your account to be used by someone else. DO NOT SHARE ACCOUNTS.
- Important files should always be backed-up.
- At the end of each semester (during final exam week), all current accounts will be deleted including your files on the network.
- Student computer accounts are not private accounts. The College reserves the right to view the contents of student accounts without notifying the student.
How to log in
- User name: Student I.D.
- Password: cc!MMDDYY
e.g. cc!030584 if date of birth is March 5th 1984
How to get an Account
All students who are registered at Columbia College are automatically given an account.
At Columbia College there are four main facilities for student use:
- 36 - stations computer science lab
- 34 - stations ELCD computer lab
- 12 - stations tutorial centre
- 15 - stations in the library
Science students will also have access to 14 computers located in the Physics, Biology and Chemistry labs.
The Computer Lab on the 4th floor provides technical services to students registered in Computer Science courses. With license from Microsoft Alliance, the Lab contains Microsoft products such as Windows 7, Office 2010 and Visual Studio.
The Computer Lab on the 3th floor is used primarily by the ELCD (listening, exercises in grammar, reading and writing, and practice tests), word processing and Internet research. This computer lab is open to all when not booked.
The Labs are open 8am – 6pm on most days. All registered students are given an account and must follow a set protocol to maintain their privileges. Students would typically use their accounts for email, Internet searches and homework assignments. In the Library, students have access to databases such as electronic journals, online newspapers and electronic books. All students have access to final grades online.
How to Obtain a Print Card
To print at the college, students must purchase a print card from the college’s bookstore. Print outs cost $0.15 per page.
Equipments: Printers, Scanners and Photocopiers
There are 4 printers for students to use to print out their documents: Students may use the printer in the computer lab, the ELCD lab, the library and the tutorial centre. A print card must be purchased in order to print. A scanner is available for use in the tutorial centre. A photocopier is available for use in the library.