You are here

Frequently Asked Questions - Student Services

I don’t understand the meaning of some words. Can you explain the meaning of GPA, prerequisite, corequisite, transfer credit, section, etc.?

How can I get more information about university courses, programs, and associate degrees?

See a counselor in Student Services for more information about courses, programs, associate degrees, and certificates. See also University Programs

How can I change my classes/sections?

See a counselor before the end of week one of each semester to change classes/sections.

How can I withdraw from a class if I find it too difficult?

See a counselor before the end of week 9 to withdraw from a class.

How many credits do I need to transfer to a university?

Students wishing to transfer to 2nd Year studies at university normally require between 24-30 credits, but you can transfer up to 60 credits. Students who wish to transfer to 3rd Year studies normally require 54-60 credits.

When and how can I apply for an extension to my Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa as well as apply for a Work Permit?

See a counselor to get this information. See also the Government of Canada website

How can I apply for MSP (Medical Services Plan) Insurance?

Application forms (with instructions) are available in Student Services. See the Nurse or a Counselor for assistance.

Whom may I talk to about personal problems?

You are welcome to speak, in privacy, with a Counselor or the Nurse about any problems you are having.

Does the College provide any awards or scholarships?

Yes. See the Scholarships and Awards section of the Calendar

How can I find out about the transferability of Columbia College courses?

See a Counselor. Also read the Transferability of University Courses section of the Calendar

When can I study part-time or take a one semester break?

After two semesters of full-time studies, you can enroll for one semester as a part-time student (1 or 2 courses) or take a break from your studies for one semester.