Off-Campus Employment Eligibility

As of June 1st, 2014, international students holding a valid Study Permit to study at the post-secondary level in Canada are allowed to work off-campus on a part-time basis for up to 20 hours per week.

To be eligible to work, students must meet the following criteria:

  • Hold a valid study permit which must have a condition printed on it that allows you to work on or off campus.
  • Have started studying.
  • Be a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) and be enrolled in a post-secondary academic program.
  • Be in a program that leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate and that is at least six months long.
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

For more information about working off-campus, visit this page.

Students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during semester time, and full-time between semesters. There are no restrictions on the type of job students may take.

In order to work within Canada students must also acquire a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada. Students must apply for a SIN before the start of employment.

How do I know if I am eligible to work off campus?

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for off-campus work:

  • May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

If your study permit contains these remarks and you are meeting the requirements above, you can go straight to Service Canada with your passport and Study Permit to get your SIN.

If none of these conditions/remarks appear on your study permit and you are eligible to work off campus, you will need to apply for a new study permit. See our Immigration page for more information about applying for a new study permit.

How do I get a SIN?

To get a SIN, you need to go to a Service Canada location with your Passport and Study Permit. Click here to find the nearest location to you.