If you are an international student under 19, when you apply for a Canadian Study Permit, you might be asked to provide documents showing that you have a custodian in Vancouver who can help you in case of need. Columbia College will assist in making custodianship arrangements for students under 19 who are also staying in a homestay arranged by the College. If you wish us to make custodianship arrangements for you, please indicate this when you apply for homestay. Students under 19 who wish to make their own arrangements for accommodation must also make their own custodianship arrangements. Please note that students under 19 in a Grade 11 or 12 University Foundation Program must provide copies of custodianship documents when they first register.
Our Custodianship Criteria
Columbia College makes available on request an appointed custodian to students who meet all the following criteria:
- Be a Columbia College student registered in full-time studies
- Be at least 16 years old and under the age of 19 (BC requirement)
- Have no adult relatives residing in BC
- Commit to staying with a Columbia College-appointed host family until their 19th birthday
- Agree to find a new custodian when departing Columbia College appointed host family
The College requires a deposit of $2,400 to confirm homestay and custodianship. The payment can be made online. We will prepare the custodianship form once we receive the deposit.
There is a standard custodianship form available on the CIC website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/custodian-parent.pdf. Please complete Page 1 and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Parents need to complete Page 2, have it notarized, and include it with the visa application.