Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs from Current Students

I don’t understand the meaning of some words. Can you explain the meaning of GPA, prerequisite, corequisite, transfer credit, section, etc.?

Check out the Glossary of Terms.

How can I get more information about university courses, programs, and associate degrees?

See a counselor in Student Services for more information about courses, programs, associate degrees, and certificates. See also Courses.

How can I change my classes/sections?

See a counselor before the end of week one of each semester to change classes/sections.

How can I withdraw from a class if I find it too difficult?

See a counselor before the end of week 9 to withdraw from a class.

How many credits do I need to transfer to a university?

Students wishing to transfer to 2nd Year studies at university normally require between 24-30 credits, but you can transfer up to 60 credits. Students who wish to transfer to 3rd Year studies normally require 54-60 credits.

When and how can I apply for an extension to my Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa as well as apply for a Work Permit?

See a counselor to get this information. See also Immigration and the Government of Canada website.

How can I apply for MSP (Medical Services Plan) Insurance?

Application forms (with instructions) are available in Student Services. See the Nurse or a counsellor for assistance. As well, refer to the online MSP insurance application here.

Whom may I talk to about personal problems?

You are welcome to speak, in privacy, with a counsellor or the Nurse about any problems you are having.

Does the College provide any awards or scholarships?

Yes. See the Scholarships and Awards section of the Calendar.

How can I find out about the transferability of Columbia College courses?

See a counsellor. Also read the Transferability of University Courses section of the Calendar.
You can also view the BC Transfer Guide.

Where do I book an appointment for the Learning Centre?

Book an appointment at the Learning Centre here.

Where do I book an appointment with a counsellor?

If you are an Associate Degree or University Transfer student, to book an appointment with a counsellor visit Student Services in Room 211 on the 2nd floor of the Main Campus.

If you are a High School student, go to the front desk on the fourth floor of the North Campus to book an appointment.

Can I make payment plans?

No. All fees need to be paid at the time of registration.

Can I work while studying?

Refer to Working Off Campus for more information about working.

Can my sister (who is from outside Canada) visit me here?

See Immigration for information on inviting friends and relatives from countries that require a visa.

What is the difference between and MSP? Do I have to apply for MSP?


How do I know how much I have to pay for my next semester tuition?

Refer to Costs.

How do I apply from Columbia College Secondary to the University Transfer or Associate Degree program at Columbia College?

Speak to a counsellor or academic advisor by going to the front desk on the fourth floor of the North Campus to book an appointment.

How do I know what clubs there are on campus? How do I join/start a club?

Check out the list of clubs that are currently offered at the College here. You can join them by clicking on the register button. To start a club, email the Student Life Coordinator.

How can I find accommodation?

Find out more about our Homestay program.

If you decide to look for somewhere to live independently, the Internet is the best place to get an idea about the rental real estate market of Vancouver. Websites like Craigslist, Kijiji and PadMapper are a good place to start your search for a new place. Find out more information about accommodation here. 

Can I work more than 20 hours a week? What is the maximum number of hours I can work during break?

Refer to Working Off Campus.

Will I have trouble applying for a post-graduate work permit or permanent residency if I’ve been on Probation?

To be eligible for the post-graduate work permit (PGWP), you must maintain your status as a full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution. See Immigration for further information about the PGWP.

Is there a problem with my study permit if I change majors?

No, there will be no problem with your study permit if you change majors. You are not bound by the program that was written in your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) or by the program indicated on your study permit.