What is Academic Advising?
Talk to an Academic Advisor for help with program planning, degree requirements, or if you have questions about your academics.
Academic Advisors will listen to your questions in a safe, respectful and confidential space. They will share their expertise along with accurate, up-to-date information to empower you to make informed decisions about your academic and career goals.
Academic advisors can help you with:
• Course planning
• Understanding academic probation status and GPA
• Discussing concerns of missed classes
• Understanding course withdrawal policy
• Discussing plagiarism charge
• Understanding Authorized Leave policy
• Understanding university transfer and admission process
• Discussing grade appeal
• Discussing complaint procedure
Before you see an academic advisor, you must:
• Pick up the Semester Timetable (available online, in Student Services, or at Main Reception)
• Pick up a Degree Audit Form for your chosen program (available online or in Student Services)
• Fill in the top 2 lines of your Course Planning Form (available in Student Services when you arrive for your appointment)
• Read the Course Descriptions
While Academic Advisors assist students with anything related to course selection and pathway planning, Mental Health Counsellors can assist you with:
• Managing stress and anxiety
• Dealing with depression
• Homesickness and adjustment to college
• Dealing with relationship difficulties
• Developing assertive communication skills
• Managing anger and frustration
• Coping with grief and loss
• Overcoming procrastination
• Building resiliency
• Managing crisis
• Disclosing sexual violence
Mental Health Counsellors provide a respectful, safe and affirming atmosphere for students of all races, ability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, culture and socioeconomic status.
You can book an appointment with a Mental Health Counsellor using the same form below.
Online Drop-In Sessions
Online drop-in academic advising sessions will give you the opportunity to ask quick questions about your program requirements, course planning or transferring.
Sessions are hosted every:
Tuesday (2 PM – 5 PM)
Wednesday (9 AM – 12 PM)
Thursday (10 AM – 1 PM)
*All sessions are hosted in Vancouver (PT) time